California’s Short-Lived Climate Pollutant Reduction Strategy
Effective January 1, 2022
In September 2016, Governor Edmund Brown Jr. set methane emissions reduction targets for California (SB 1383 Lara, Chapter 395, Statutes of 2016) in a statewide effort to reduce emissions of short-lived climate pollutants (SLCP). The targets must:
- Reduce organic waste disposal by 50% by 2020 and 75% by 2025.
- Rescue for people to eat at least 20% of currently disposed of surplus food by 2025.
California is implementing statewide organic waste recycling and surplus food recovery.
Starting in January 2022:
- All jurisdictions will need to provide organic waste collection services to all residents and businesses and recycle these organic materials.
- Some businesses must donate edible food to food recovery organizations with others starting in 2024.
Reducing organic waste in landfills = less methane.
Organics like food scraps, yard trimmings, paper, and cardboard make up half of what Californians dump in landfills. Organic waste in landfills emits methane, a climate super pollutant 84 times more potent than carbon dioxide.
For more information regarding Senate Bill 1383, please visit:
We are here to help with compliance!
Livermore Sanitation can help start or improve your Business’s Recyclables & Organics collection program.
- Free Recyclables & Organics collection! There is no charge for weekly service of one 96-gallon Recyclables cart and one 96-gallon Organics cart.
- Additional carts, larger Recyclables, and Organics bins are also available for a charge.
- Looking for another type of collection service? We offer wheeled carts, dumpsters, and debris boxes in a wide variety of sizes.
- We can help you assess your waste stream to reduce waste and increase recycling.
- We can schedule a free visit from one of our helpful waste reduction experts to provide helpful training materials and collection bins for use inside your business.
- Contact us for more information.
Use our translatable website anytime to:
- Find program information and common FAQs
- View current rates and fill out service forms
- Create an online account and sign up for paperless billing
- Download and print service guides, flyers, and posters
- Watch collection program videos
- Find resources and links for businesses and more!
When in Doubt, Find Out!
If you have any questions regarding the Livermore Sanitation collection program, please contact us:
Together we can all make a difference. We thank you for your efforts!