Trash Talk – Keep Garbage out of the Recyclables, and Recyclables out of the Landfill!
We at Livermore Sanitation thank you for all your recycling and composting efforts! Following eco-friendly policies and practices will show your business is committed to long-term sustainability. We are proud to be the exclusive franchised hauler for the collection of Garbage, Recycling, and Organics for the City of Livermore. We offer many different types of service for Commercial customers along with information and assistance to help promote proper sorting.
Placing items that are not recyclable in the recycling stream can:
• cause contamination which results in recyclable material going to a landfill.
• damage sorting machinery and injure employees.
• increase the cost to collect and process the material.
Here are 5 quick tips for program success:
1. Sort plastic waste properly. Remember that Styrofoam products, plastic wrap, and non-recyclable packaging belong in your gray garbage cart or bin.
2. Flatten cardboard/paper boxes before placing them in your blue recyclables cart or bin. Pieces should fit loosely to assure proper emptying during service.
3. Use clear plastic bags to contain food scraps. (Black plastic bags are not allowed in your green organics cart or bin.)
4. Avoid providing single-use disposable items such as condiment packets, plastic straws, lids, and utensils. Choose refillable/reusable alternatives whenever possible. Visit rethinkdisposable.com for ideas and information.
5. Educate employees consistently on the importance of proper sorting. Recycling is mandatory in Livermore. To be compliant, Livermore businesses and multi-family residential properties must have recyclables and organics collection service in place.
The cleanest and most efficient sorting starts with you, the generator.
• Please remember to place recyclable materials only in your blue Recyclables collection containers. (See a list of common contaminates below.)
• Empty and rinse all recyclable plastic, metal and glass containers to prevent contamination.
• Garbage, Organics and Hazardous Waste, such as household batteries and lightbulbs, DO NOT belong in the Recyclables containers! Visit StopWaste.org/hhw or call the Alameda County Household Hazardous Waste line at 800-606-6606, to see if your business qualifies for the small business generator and business drop in programs for the proper disposal of Hazardous Waste.
THE FOLLOWING ITEMS DO NOT BELONG IN THE BLUE RECYCLABLES COLLECTION CONTAINERS.
These items belong in Garbage:
• Chip/snack packaging
• Plastic wrap/film/single plastic bags
• Styrofoam® blocks/cups/peanuts
• CDs/VHS tapes
• Plastic plates/cups/cutlery
• Diapers/wet wipes/personal hygiene items
• Gloves/masks/soiled paper using for cleaning
• Pet waste/cat litter
These items belong in Organics:
• Food-soiled paper: plates/cups/take-out boxes/towels/napkins
(Please make sure the paper item is NOT lined with plastic)
California regulations and Alameda County’s Mandatory Recycling Ordinances require Recycling & Composting by businesses!
Information on legislation related to solid waste in California is available online at the CalRecycle website: https://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/Laws/.
Information about recycling regulations specific to Alameda County can be found at www.RecyclingRulesAC.org and at www.Stopwaste.org.
Livermore Sanitation can help start or improve your Business’s Recyclables & Organics
Free Recyclables & Organics collection! There is no charge for weekly service of one 96-gallon Recyclables cart and one 96-gallon Organics cart. Additional carts, larger Recyclables and Organics bins, and up to six days of collection are also available for a charge. Looking for another type of collection service? We offer wheeled carts, dumpsters and debris boxes in a wide variety of sizes.
We are here to help! We can help you assess your waste stream to reduce waste and increase recycling. We can schedule a free visit from one of our helpful waste reduction experts to provide helpful training materials and collection bins for use inside your business. Contact us for more information.
Use our translatable website anytime to:
-Find program information and common FAQs
-View current rates and fill out service forms
-Create an online account and sign up for paperless billing
-Download and print service guides, flyers, and posters
-Watch collection program videos
-Find resources and links for businesses and more!
When in Doubt, Find Out!
If you have any questions regarding the Livermore Sanitation collection program, please contact us:
Email: [email protected]
Together we can all make a difference. We thank you for your efforts!